To get a balanced diet is key good organization. At least, according to my experience. In our case, try to plan meals a week (including mid-morning snack and afternoon tea) during the previous weekend. In this way, I make sure that we eat in a balanced and healthy way, buy only what is necessary (and therefore, avoid spending more and, more importantly, throwing food) and save ourselves running at super weekdays.
Then, on Sundays, I take the opportunity to cook everything I can prepare beforehand. Many times, since I wear, I make rations of more than freeze for those days when planning fails, there is any unforeseen or simply, we do not feel like cooking. Also, I take advantage when we go to the fishmonger and bakery we like to buy and freeze fish and bread for at least two or three weeks.
But how you can freeze all foods? The truth is that most, yes. But it is also true that many of them lose some flavor and texture. Among the foods that cannot be frozen include eggs, potatoes and stews that contain rich in fat (cream, mayonnaise, etc.) foods, salad vegetables (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, etc.), Rice or fried foods. In the case of pasta, although in principle should not be frozen, we do freeze fresh pasta craft.
The rest, with specific exceptions, can be. In our case, as I said, the foods we freeze are the following. The recommended storage times are an estimate at the quality level.
- Pan: In the case of bread, it is best to keep at room temperature or directly in the freezer, where we can have it perfectly for about three months. If the bread is of quality, when thawing it directly in the oven or toaster, it is practically the same as freshly made. This is good for the bars of old bread or bread typical ‘bubble gum’; they will not know anything and will break you to try to unfreeze. I find it more practical to freeze the bread and cut (so you can take only those slices that you go to eat) and wait for it to cool slightly before placing in the freezer. If you freeze, it when the bread is still hot, the slices stick and then it is difficult to separate them without breaking them.
- Fish: I try to eat salmon at least once a week. This habit was part of the diet that made my doctor to raise vitamin D levels, along with other blue fish, dairy products and fortified foods. As I did very well and then got improvement (in autumn and winter, however, promptly turn to the nutritional supplements, if necessary), it is a pattern that attempt to maintain power. So, when I go to the fishmonger, I use to buy enough salmon (in slices or steaks) that I clean and freeze when I get home. I also do it with other white fish (sole, hake, monkfish, etc.), especially if they are at a good price, as well as with the calamari, whose season here is in September and October. In the case of blue fish, they can be kept in the freezer for 2 to 3 months; while whitefish and squid can be stored for up to 6 months. Freezing fish is a good strategy to make sure we eat at least portions of this food group.
- Meat: As with fish, can also freeze meat of all kinds: beef, pork, chicken, lamb, rabbit … If you cannot go often to the market, it pays to take the opportunity to buy quality meat and freeze it at home. Veal steaks can be kept in the freezer for up to 1 year, just like roast beef. In the case of chicken, whether it is in fillets or thighs, about 9 months; while bacon, sausages and hamburgers should not be more than 1 month in the freezer.
You may also like to read another article on BestAntiBiotic: The amazing benefits of turmeric juice
- Inlay: We can also freeze sausage. In fact, we can have it in the freezer about two months. Although becoming less and less, at home we usually freeze the sweet ham and turkey.
- Vegetables: I love the creamed vegetables. Of zucchini, pumpkin, carrot, cauliflower, broccoli … Above all, now in autumn and winter. That is why I almost always prepare them in large quantities to be able to have rations of more than freezing. If you like to add creams or purees to a question, cream of milk or a little yogurt, it is better to freeze them ‘sin’. That is, it is preferable to freeze only vegetable cream and, once thawed, add these more fatty ingredients when heated. To freeze vegetables, it is advisable to blanch them in boiling water to slow or stop the action of enzymes, so that mature stop and avoid the loss of flavor and color. If we skip this step, the enzymes in the vegetables can remain active in the freezer and, over time, can become discolored or hardened.
- Fruit: In the case of fruit, just freeze those pieces that I see that we will not eat and do not want to spoil. For example, a lot happens to us with bananas. If I see a banana that starts to turn black, I cut it into pieces and freeze it. Then I use it for fruit smoothies.
In addition, sometimes, I freeze leftovers of some stew that I could prepare. If this is the case, we have about 3 months to be able to eat them.
However, to freeze foods properly is important that the freezer is -18°C and about using suitable containers for it. If we are going to keep food in its original packaging for more than two months, we recommend covering them with heavy-duty aluminum foil or paper and freezer bags. It is also important to label the content and date of freezing with a label.
I like to use Tupperware airtight glass or jars mason, although I recognize that often succumb to freezer bags for practicality. It is advisable, in general, freeze the food as quickly as possible.
To thaw foods optimally, it should be done gradually, in the refrigerator or at room temperature. My trick is, at night, put the cream, the fish or the meat in the fridge that we are going to eat the next day for dinner. Normally, noon, if we do not eat at home, we try to prepar tuppers with fresh food (salads very complete type, meals, etc.).
We hope these tips on food and recipes to freeze are you from utilized. We would love to hear from you through the comments.Tags: foods, frozen